Re: new G4, radeon9000 support

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 01:25:39PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 11:49, Eric Deveaud wrote:
> >
> > my boss told me that christmas is comming now, I can order a new bi G4.
> > with a 17' ADC flat panel
>
> You've got a nice boss. :)
>
> > I think I will order the following:
> > biG4  1.25GHz
> > 1Gb   SDRAM
> > 2 UltraSCSI 72 Gb
> > ATI Radeon 9000
> > SCSI card
> >

> > I want to now about the Xfree support of the radeon9000 (I don't want
> > a nvidia card)
> > As far as I understood the Xfree documentation, the radeon familly is
> > supported. am I correct, or should I order an other card
>
> Well, the 9000 series is the third generation of Radeon cores, and AFAIK

No, the 9000 is just a cheaper 8500 with a few modifications, it still
uses the R200 core, but i am not sure to what point the modifications
would need adaptation of the R200 drivers.

They are quite cheap, and i guess many people will buy those, and they
come with both top powermacG4 models.

> it might be different enough to the earlier generations for it not to
> work out of the box. However, ATI has already submitted a patch to
> XFree86 to add support, it should be in 4.3.0 and could probably be
> backported if necessary.

I guess the difficult thing will be support for the 9500/9700 boards.

BTW, do you know if this patch includes support for video stuff ? The
radeon 9000 (as the 9500/9700) use the pixel shaders to do video, if i
understood this well.

Friendly,

Sven Luther