Re: Trying to use sleepd for inactivity

Michel Lanners (mlan@cpu.lu) wrote:
> 166 BAD interrupts? that's a lot...

Yeah, I don't know what's up with that.  Machine's running fine,
though.

> > they don't
> > do anything quite so mundane as use, you know, interrupts for the
> > keyboard.
>
> Oh, they do, just not in the way that a freaky i386 developer expects.
> When you only have 15 IRQs, reserving one for only the keyboard may not
> be the most efficient use of system resources...

I knew they were doing something smarter with their proto-USB protocol.
Funny, I didn't know Apple hardware had a 15-IRQ limit. I suppose there
had to be *some* limit.

> ADB, or rather the PMU, is delivering lots of things. Among others the
> power management events.

Hmm.

> > I wonder if anyone knew of a better way to watch for system activity in
> > any meaningful way?
>
> Maybe try and watch /dev/input/* ? That's where keyboard and mouse
> events get delivered. Then again, it all depends on your definition of a
> 'meaningful way'...

Meaningful = won't result in the machine shutting down unexpectedly,
i.e. while the  keyboard or mouse is being used.

Unfortunately, sleepd doesn't do anything remotely like watching
/dev/input .

It turns out that X will do the event watching for me, and put my
machine to sleep after some inactivity. But I  won't get that behaviour
from the console.  Oh, well.

- Steve