Re: Trying to use sleepd for inactivity

On   4 Jun, this message from Stephen van Egmond echoed through cyberspace:
> sleepd works by watching the IRQ bus for interrupts. Specifically,
> looking through the code it looks through /proc/interrupts for anything
> that looks like an interrupt for a mouse or keyboard.
>
> Here's what my /proc/interrupts looks like. I'm using an iBook DV 466.
>
>            CPU0
>  19:      21205   OpenPIC   Level     ide0
>  20:        244   OpenPIC   Level     ide1
>  25:     783175   OpenPIC   Level     VIA-PMU
>  27:          8   OpenPIC   Level     usb-ohci
>  41:      23559   OpenPIC   Level     eth0
>  47:     230550   OpenPIC   Level     GPIO1/ADB
>  55:          0   OpenPIC   Edge      NMI - XMON
> BAD:        166
>
> (one second later, i don't touch the keyboard)
>
>             CPU0
>  19:      21208   OpenPIC   Level     ide0
>  20:        244   OpenPIC   Level     ide1
>  25:     783182   OpenPIC   Level     VIA-PMU
>  27:          8   OpenPIC   Level     usb-ohci
>  41:      23565   OpenPIC   Level     eth0
>  47:     230561   OpenPIC   Level     GPIO1/ADB
>  55:          0   OpenPIC   Edge      NMI - XMON
> BAD:        166

166 BAD interrupts? that's a lot...

> Now of course, iBooks being the freaky brainchild of Apple,

Watch your tongue :)

> they don't
> do anything quite so mundane as use, you know, interrupts for the
> keyboard.

Oh, they do, just not in the way that a freaky i386 developer expects.
When you only have 15 IRQs, reserving one for only the keyboard may not
be the most efficient use of system resources...

>  Everything gets delivered through ADB, which appears to be
> delivering heartbeat interrtupts, since it goes up by about 10 every
> second.

ADB, or rather the PMU, is delivering lots of things. Among others the
power management events.

> I wonder if anyone knew of a better way to watch for system activity in
> any meaningful way?

Maybe try and watch /dev/input/* ? That's where keyboard and mouse
events get delivered. Then again, it all depends on your definition of a
'meaningful way'...

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |