Re: eata.c module and PCI setup problem (RAID SCSI card)

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Antoine Delvaux wrote:

> > > I'm getting this addresse from lspci and from previous tries with
> > > modprobe eata.o (which gives exactly the same results as insmod BTW)
> > > Here is the lspci -vv output regarding this card :
> > >
> > > 00:0f.0 SCSI storage controller: Distributed Processing Technology
> > > SmartCache/Raid I-IV Controller (rev 02)
> > >     Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop-
> > >     ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> > >     <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> > >     Latency: 32 (1000ns min, 2000ns max), cache line size 08
> > >     Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 25
> > >     BIST result: 00
> > >     Region 0: I/O ports at 1400 [disabled] [size=32]
> > >     Expansion ROM at 80908000 [disabled] [size=32K]

> > > Why could the device not be configured to reply to IO accesses on the
> > > PCI bus ?
> >
> > Because no one enabled it?
> >
> > Apparently the eata driver doesn't call pci_enable_device().
>
> No, I think it does it, as I can see from the source, but does it does it
> at the good time ? :

  [...]

> The driver code is working very fine with the same card on i386 box...
> What are the differences regarding PCI bus between i386 and ppc ?

I guess the card has a PC BIOS? Then on ia32 it will be enabled during BIOS
init.

> BTW, what doean mean the 'disabled' in the lspci output, just not enabled
> ?  Should the call to pci_enable_device() change this status ? :

Yes. Yes.

> > >     Region 0: I/O ports at 1400 [disabled] [size=32]
> > >     Expansion ROM at 80908000 [disabled] [size=32K]

Does it change after the call to pci_enable_device()?

> Also, the syslog extract :

> is apparantly comming from arch/ppc/kernel/traps.c  When could this trap
> be reached ?

Apparently your PowerMac doesn't support PCI I/O??

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds