Re: Trying to use sleepd for inactivity

On   5 Jun, this message from Stephen van Egmond echoed through cyberspace:
> Michel Lanners (mlan@cpu.lu) wrote:
>> 166 BAD interrupts? that's a lot...
>
> Yeah, I don't know what's up with that.  Machine's running fine,
> though.

Any funny hardware?

>> > they don't
>> > do anything quite so mundane as use, you know, interrupts for the
>> > keyboard.
>>
>> Oh, they do, just not in the way that a freaky i386 developer expects.
>> When you only have 15 IRQs, reserving one for only the keyboard may not
>> be the most efficient use of system resources...
>
> I knew they were doing something smarter with their proto-USB protocol.
> Funny, I didn't know Apple hardware had a 15-IRQ limit. I suppose there
> had to be *some* limit.

No, PowerPC doesn't have a 15-IRQ limit; PCs have. First-gen PowerMacs
have 32 IRQs, later models 64 or more... not all of which are used, of
course.

IRQ useage is closely related to your hardware: if you have a dedicated
keyboard controller, than it might make sense to dedicate an IRQ for
that. Apple just chose to do it differently... and often (but not
always) better than in PCs. Then again, the cruft in PCs is the old
legacy nobody has gotten rid of....

>> > I wonder if anyone knew of a better way to watch for system activity in
>> > any meaningful way?
>>
>> Maybe try and watch /dev/input/* ? That's where keyboard and mouse
>> events get delivered. Then again, it all depends on your definition of a
>> 'meaningful way'...
>
> Meaningful = won't result in the machine shutting down unexpectedly,
> i.e. while the  keyboard or mouse is being used.
>
> Unfortunately, sleepd doesn't do anything remotely like watching
> /dev/input .

Maybe you need to get your hands dirty...

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |