Re: Booting GNU/Linux...

On Sat, 1 Jun 2002 20:58:51 -0700
"Chris Tillman" <tillman@voicetrak.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 09:46:01PM -0300, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:
> > Chris Tillman wrote:
> >
> > >The manual has an error there. After you run Make Linux Bootable, just run
> > >
> > >nvsetenv boot-device `ofpath /dev/sda2`
> > >
> > >(or whatever your root partition is). That should do it, if the
> > >quik/Openfirmware
> > >gods are smiling on you today.
> > >
> > I'm getting an error message trying this. It said my machine (Performa
> > 6360) is not supported.
> >
> > What can I do?
>
> Ewww. The gods are frowning.
>
> If you can get into OpenFirmware, you can use commands like devalias and ls / dev
> to figure out what the your hard disk device name is.
>
> The problem is, on the first versions of OpenFirmware, there was no driver
> for video available. I'm afraid this may apply to you. You can get into
> OpenFirmware, but you may need another machine hooked up with a serial cable
> to see what it is saying.
>
> I did search in the list archives and found a link which contained an OF path.
> The thing is, it wasn't woorking for that guy. but this may be worth a try
> anyway, before seeing if you can break into OF:
>
> nvsetenv boot-device ata/ATA-Disk@0:0
>
> To try getting into OF, hold Cmd-Opt-O-F at power on.

I too am on a 6360, and I assure you, cmd-opt-o-f will NOT get you into open firmware, you need to run a system tool (who's name eludes me at the moment, but I know it's on the NetBSD/ppc and Woody/PPC minimal install cd), I seem to recall it being able to output to video after changing a couple of settings, if not, plug a serial cable in, and run it to another mac and use an app such as Ztermto have a peek remotely(I use bootX for a bootloader, so I have NO experience with Quik)

			--Shawn