Re: Booting GNU/Linux...

On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 09:46:01PM -0300, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:
> Chris Tillman wrote:
>
> >The manual has an error there. After you run Make Linux Bootable, just run
> >
> >nvsetenv boot-device `ofpath /dev/sda2`
> >
> >(or whatever your root partition is). That should do it, if the
> >quik/Openfirmware
> >gods are smiling on you today.
> >
> I'm getting an error message trying this. It said my machine (Performa
> 6360) is not supported.
>
> What can I do?

Ewww. The gods are frowning.

If you can get into OpenFirmware, you can use commands like devalias and ls / dev
to figure out what the your hard disk device name is.

The problem is, on the first versions of OpenFirmware, there was no driver
for video available. I'm afraid this may apply to you. You can get into
OpenFirmware, but you may need another machine hooked up with a serial cable
to see what it is saying.

I did search in the list archives and found a link which contained an OF path.
The thing is, it wasn't woorking for that guy. but this may be worth a try
anyway, before seeing if you can break into OF:

nvsetenv boot-device ata/ATA-Disk@0:0

To try getting into OF, hold Cmd-Opt-O-F at power on.