Re: Is it possible to burn MacOS bootable CD's on Linux

On   3 Jan, this message from ht echoed through cyberspace:
> I don't have Mac Toast, or a Mac cd-r, so I used an Intel/Win95 setup.

You can do it all from Linux, too

> 1. take a bootable cd, such as Mac OS 9, make an image. I used imager
>    for Win95 (imager.exe or Gemexplor.exe). Use the "make image from
>    physical disk option"--I used a scsi cd drive.

Something comparable to this is the key to your success under Linux.
What you need, in fact, from an existing bootable CD is the partition
table, and the driver partition. YOu can keep an existing HFS partition
(that's the part that contains the actual files); but I found that my
7600's rescue boot CD only has a 230 MB partition; so the rest of the
free space is wasted.

So, the two possible aproaches:

- use an existing CD as template, extending the HFS partition if
  desired. This means you need to repopulate the image again with a
  System Folder. The partition can be extened with hexedit; the bytes
  you need to change are easy to find. Or you can try mac-fdisk's
  'extend partition map' command; though I don't know how tat exactly
  works.

- use a recent mkhybrid/mkisofs which claims to be able to make a
  bootable MacOS CD, if you provide it with a driver off an existing CD
  and a Linux-readable HFS repository (with resource forks!) of a System
  Folder.

I've used the first procedure to create a MacOS backup volume: hexedit
to change the partition map, loopback-mounted the image, made it
available under MOL, then copied everything into it that I needed. Works
perfectly well!

I haven't tried to add a second HFS partition on a HFS CD; not sure
whether MacOS would want to see that partition....

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |