CamediaPlay and Olympus D-460 Zoom

Greetings,

* please skip to next paragraph for actual question *

I wrote the list a while back about getting my USB mouse to work with
GPM. I just wanted to let those who helped me know that basically the
stock Debian-iMac 2.2.19 kernel is about as good at seeing an ADB
keyboard/USB mouse combo as stock Mac OS 9 is (ie neither see the
mouse). The solution was building a custom 2.4.16 kernel, which I found
_delightfully_ simple! I have now got (almost) all my hardware working,
including r128 3D acceleration, scanner, FireWire CD-R, Palm V, KeySpan
USA-19, and even sound! Honestly, I couldn't be happier, and can now do
everything I could do in OS X... _quickly_ ... with a customizable UI,
_and_ all my hardware is supported natively. Plus I can't go back to
Entourage/Explorer since I've used Evolution/Galeon! Thanks to all the
volunteers who make this extraordinary operating system/distribution. I
am also finishing up a little website documenting my trials and errors
so that it can help other wary Mac users/Linux newbies take the plunge
if they wish (can't code a lick yet, but I gotta try to give something
back).

Now, the one piece of hardware I can't get to work is my old Olympus
Camedia D-460 Zoom. I've installed CamediaPlay (20010211-2) and gPhoto
(0.4.3-6), tried both, and neither seem to see the camera at all. First
I tried gPhoto, selecting D-450Z (it was the closest to my camera, web
page says it works with the D-460Z) When I choose "Configure Camera",
after a brief pause, it tells me the camera couldn't be found. In
CamediaPlay, i tried:

camediaplay /dev/ttyS0
camediaplay /dev/ttyS1

These both resulted in a brief pause followed by "camera not ready." The
first time I did this, I swear the camera zoom servo made a quick noise
(which never happened when using the Mac software), but I couldn't
reproduce it.

camediaplay /dev/tts/0
camediaplay /dev/tts/1

(Obviously I'm using devfs)
These immediately reported "device is busy", however fuser /dev/tts/0
(and 1) reported no one using them!

Yes, the camera was on, yes I have the PowerMac serial port kernel
modules compiled and enabled, and yes my normal user is a member of the
"dialout" group (although I get all the same messages as root). The
camera is connected to the serial port via the provided cable, which is
a PC RS-232 serial cable with a Mac adapter on the end. The camera has a
fresh set of batteries, but no AC adapter (don't have one). The machine
is a beige G3/300. I am running the stable BitKeeper 2.4.17 kernel. The
only additional modules I have installed are the Mac-on-Linux ones.

Does anyone have any pointers or experience with this? I am sure I am
missing something relatively simple, but I just can't seem to get this
one on my own.

Thanks in advance for any answers...
Mike