Re: Is it possible to burn MacOS bootable CD's on Linux

I don't have Mac Toast, or a Mac cd-r, so I used an Intel/Win95 setup.

1. take a bootable cd, such as Mac OS 9, make an image. I used imager
   for Win95 (imager.exe or Gemexplor.exe). Use the "make image from
   physical disk option"--I used a scsi cd drive.
2. under linux, use the hfsutils suite, mount the image from (1),
   delete everything except the system folder, and "copyin" your
   software. Unmount the image.
3. burn the image with your favorite software.

I used this to swap some files around to make a OS 9 G4 cd, bootable
on a Powermac 4400 (I had bought it from someone who didn't know the
difference). I messed around with OS 9 for a while, then went back to
8.6--OS 9 is crap.

This made a cd that boots Mac OS. I had in mind trying BootX--boot off
the cd, BootX would load, then it would boot linux. I don't know if
BootX needs to be able to write to the disk, though. This is kind of
a backwards kludge, but I only needed to do it once, and it worked.
Other issues are where and how to put the linux files, but if you used
an older version of Mac OS (smaller image, so a smaller HFS partition,
so you had room left on the cd-r), then put the linux files in A/UX
partition(s).

Please excuse my ignorance of the finer points, but this did the job
for me--made a bootable Mac cd.