Re: Activating L3 cache on a Crescendo G4 400 card (powerMac 7300)

> I changed the TypeCreator of the extension from Crescendo in order
> to load it first. Seems that it is a little faster (mostly the
> graphical interface. More responsive ). But nothing appears in
> /proc/cpuinfo
> The L2 cahce from the motherborad (256k) is still there and nothing
> else. What test (speed test) could let me know if there is a
> difference between the 2 configurations (Crescendo ext loaded or
> not)?
>
> Thanx

Try to 'cat /proc/sys/kernel/l2cr', and see if there's a setting that
indicates if the cache is activated or not with the Crescendo extension
or nor the cache is activated.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to
my desktop, and won't for another couple of weeks - so I can't provide
any more detailed information.  As to CPU benchmarking tests, there're
so many out there, and I don't know enough to comment about the best
for your situation. For my work, I use an in-house FFT routine that is
coded into the software package we utilize (AFNI), and beyond that - a
timed linux kernel compile.

cheers
vinai