Re: Ethernet and AAUI

Derrik Pates wrote:

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 06:58:05PM +0100, Laurent Decreusefond wrote:
I have a powerbook 7300 running woody (very nice ...)
I have an ethernet transceiver (Apple M0437) on the AAUI port. I would
like to know how to use both my built-in Ethernet card and my transceiver
use my Mac as a router between my DSL connection and my own LAN.

Sorry, doesn't work that way. It's still only one network interface, and
you can only use one media port at a time (AAUI or built-in UTP port,
not both). PowerBook 7300? You mean a PowerMac 7300? You could just get
a PCI NIC and throw it in, and go with that; it'd probably be your best
bet.

Or alternatively, you could setup up an alias for the built-in interface. I have used a similar setup before, and it works. Don't know what affect using the interface for two addresses has on network traffic, but if all you want to do is share access and you don't get too much traffic, it should work.

You will need a network hub, preferably 10/100M. Hook up the DSL modem and all your computers to the hub. To setup an alias on a network interface you can do something like this:

ifconfig eth0:0 10.0.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

eth0:0 specifies it is the first alias on interface eth0 (remember programmers start counting at 0). Replace the IP address and netmask with whatever is appropriate for your LAN. I think you can set this up in the file /etc/network/interfaces so it works automatically, but I don't remember how to do aliases there.

I think then setting up the network settings appropriately on your LAN computers to point to the routers local address as their gateway should do the job, since your DSL connection will probably setup the default gateway properly on the router.

There are some good HOWTOs at The Linux Documentation Project <http://www.tldp.org/> on Firewalls and IP-Masquerade that you may find useful.

Regards,

Pat