New kernel problem

I am trying to compile a new kernel on my PowerBook G3 (under woody) to
enable ip_masquerading (if there exists one such precompiled kernel, I am
interested). I downloaded 2.4.21 sources, make xconfig, make dep, make
clean, make vmlinux, make modules, make modules_install, copied vmlinux in
Linux Kernels on my MAC OS files system, copied System.map in /boot.
The reboot is OK except that my keyboard is totally erratic (1 is mapped
to e, 2 to r and so on).
Is there something special in the configuration I missed ?

| P-mail: E.N.S.T.              | E-mail: decreuse@enst.fr        |
|   46, rue Barrault            | Tel   : +33 1 45 81 75 01       |
|   75634 Paris cedex 13        | Fax   : +33 1 45 81 31 19       |
|   France                      | www.infres.enst.fr/~decreuse    |