Re: Umax SuperMac

On 08 Dec 2002 19:33:37 +0100
Leandro Guimar Faria Corsetti Dutra  <lgcdutra@terra.com.br> wrote:

> # Video: ixMicro Twin Turbo Graphics Accelerator [...]
>
> I could find no DIP switches on it.

By adapter, I meant a little box (about 1.5"x1.5"), aka a dongle, that
converts an old-style Mac monitor port (DB-15) to an SVGA port. I've
never seen one of these cards, but my guess is that it already had an
SVGA port. However, if there's a little box attached to the video card
out the back, where you plug your monitor in, that's where the switches
might be. If the monitor plugs straight in, then obviously that's not an
issue.

On 09 Dec 2002 09:00:49 -0500
Ludwig <ludwig@superdeluxe.com> wrote:

> Non-multisync monitors work fine on Macs.

I think you're right that a 640x480 @ 60Hz monitor should be supported,
but I've never tried it. (Most Mac fixed-frequency monitors ran at 66.7
Hz, so the aforementioned may not be a supported mode after all.)

> Have you tried resetting the PRAM?  (Hold down command-option-P-R at
> startup until you hear the boot chime again.) That would revert the
> video output to the default safe/compatible resolution of (IIRC) 640 X
> 480 @ 60Hz.

Good idea! (I was just going to suggest it. :-) )

If you can make it through the monitor issue, Leandro, this computer
will work quite well with Debian. Not sure if the second processor is
supported, but if it is, it should be an alright system. Good luck!

-- Michael