Re: Umax SuperMac

On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 02:46, Chris Tillman wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 12:38:35AM +0100, Leandro Guimar?es Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:
>
> I think you're correct about the display being the issue. I'm pretty
> sure this computer was built before the machines were made compatible
> with regular multisync monitors.
>
> You could try a serial install, hook up another computer to the modem
> port. As a bonus, you'll be able to see OpenFirmware. The speed is
> probably 38400, not 9600.

	Thing is, can a RS-422A to USB cable be built (how?) or bought
(where?)?  As I said, I am writing from an iBook which is my only other
computer.

	Or perhaps RS-422A to RS-232C to hook to a computer in the office, but
then I might just as well use a SVGA monitor.  The thing is that,
lacking a car I have to get a ten minutes walk thru a muddy field to get
to office, so I'd rather find a home solution.

> Be sure to read the install manual at
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/install

	Did many times, thanks, and will do yet again at home.

From: 	Michael Hackett <michael@randomsample.org>
> There's no built-in video on these machines (the S900 is based on the
> Apple 9500), so it depends on the video card. If it's an ATI Mach 64,
> you must also have an adapter to use an SVGA monitor with it. If it
> has DIP switches, these may need to be changed to support your
> monitor.

	It is the original video adapter, from
http://lowendmac.com/supermacs/s900.shtml:

# Video: ixMicro Twin Turbo Graphics Accelerator standard with 4-8 MB
VRAM, resolutions to 1920x1080, 24-bit color to 1152x870 with 4 MB, to
1920x1080 with 8 MB

	I could find no DIP switches on it.

> However, is a PS/2 monitor even SVGA? If it's not multisync, it
> probably won't work with any Mac card. Have you tried it on another
> Mac?

	The other Mac I have is a Lime FireWire iBook that lacks a VGA output
port.

	Thanks for your attention and any further ideas...

--
  _   Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra    +41 (21) 648 11 35
 / \                                            +41 (21) 216 15 93