Re: deskwriter driver, or set up

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 16:32:58 -0700, Brad Boyer composed:
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 08:26:21AM -0400, simon.raven@sympatico.ca wrote:
> > i've also gone to lok around at linuxprinting.org, and they don't have a
> > driver for deskwriter, only deskjets - deskjets IIRC use PS, and the
> > printer i have is just a serial printer. i've also tried playing around
> > with the serial ports settings, and still no output, not even garbage.
>
> Actually, only a couple really expensive deskjets had a postscript engine
> in them. Having a real Adobe postscript engine easily adds a couple hundred
> dollars to the price of a printer. The deskjets that i've seen actually
> have a serial port even tho most people don't use them. I suspect that
> your deskwriter is really just a relabeled deskjet. The trick is finding
> which deskjet model is equivalent. I'd guess it needs PCL, which is what
> almost all cheap HP printers use. The deskjet drivers will probably work
> as long as you can convince them to use your serial device instead of
> /dev/lp0.

hm, i could give it a whirl. the "deskwriter" i'm talking about is the
ones made for mac: old, circa 1993-5, paper feed tray below the output
tray, in front, below the main body cover that flips backward, and does
localtalk through the serial port (appletalk set as default to the
printer port makes this thing spit out a sheet with a bunch of funky
code on it, in full quality (argh) - which happens whenever i booted off
the cd when i was in macos).

but thanks for the info, gives me some hope in making this thing work in
linux :D. oh btw, it *is* a laser printer (b&w/greyscale), which make me think that
you're right.

simon