Re: Woody Install Error

> > Then it prompted to remove pcmcia-cs and died. Segfaults left and
> > right.
>
> 	Well, let the pcmcia-cs package there for a moment.

It wasn't pcmcia-cs specifically, it was anytime apt-get was run.

> 	It's a pity that memtest86 works only for, well, x86s. Do you
> 	have the possibility of taking the memory of this computer and
> 	using it on a regular PC?

Being the sysadmin of the company, I have access to all of the spare
parts :)

I tried (literally) 5 different strips of RAM, all with the same
result. I tried all of the 5 strips in other systems, and they worked
perfectly.

> 	This way, you could stress-test your memory module all the
> 	night with memtest86 and see if the problem is indeed the
> 	memory. The better thing would be to run memtest86, if you
> 	can, but if you can't, then trying to compile the kernel would
> 	be a good test, I think.
>
> 	*If* the memory works ok on the PC, then it might be an
>         indication of, perhaps, a problem with the memory slots on the
>         Mac (or, worse, with other parts -- and diagnosing that may
>         not be as simple).

The system works perfectly with another distro. I won't name which :)
I did the full install, installed all of the necessary packages, and
all worked fine.

> > It's never easy :)
>
> 	But sometimes it's fun. :-)

I never said it wasn't fun :) Thanks for all the suggestions. They are
appreciated.