Re: bi-G4 1.25Ghz

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Chris Tillman wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 07:44:14PM +0200, Eric Deveaud wrote:
> >
> > 	Hi,
> >
> > whille trying to boot on the debian-30r0-powerpc-binary-1, bad luck,
> > neither the ata100 drive, neither the SCSI disk are seen.
> >
> The 3.0 distribution's new-powermac flavor uses a 2.4.18 kernel.
> Probably it doesn't include your special driver. The kernel is
> available as a separate package, look in the package pool for
> kernel-image-2.4.18-powerpc.

I have similar problem in that I have a ATTO SCSI card that is
not supported in the Debian install kernel as well.  I have built
working kernels myself though.  How hard would it be to
edit the CD image a put a kernel that works for me on it?

I wonder why the folks making the CD don't include the SCSI drivers.
For the newer G4 macs there is only two to three choices of
SCSI cards, Adaptec and ATTO.  It's not like on a PC where there
are dozens. Plus you don't have the kernel size limits AFAIK.
Why not even put another SCSI mac kernel image on the disk?

Also someone said you could download modules for the SCSI driver
from the net when using the net install CD.  How do you do this?

Fred