Re: bi-G4 1.25Ghz

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 07:44:14PM +0200, Eric Deveaud wrote:

> 	Hi,
>
> Santa-claus comes today with this new machine.
> I've asked him to add a SCSI card and a 73Gb SCSI disk, in order to put
> linux.
>
> the SCSI card is an adaptec 29160N
>
> whille trying to boot on the debian-30r0-powerpc-binary-1, bad luck,
> neither the ata100 drive, neither the SCSI disk are seen.
>
> as far as I've understood my google search, I have to switch the
> drive from the ata100 to the ata66 bus in order to be able to use it
> under linux. This is the easy part.
>
> and for the adaptec card support, I have to compile a fresh kernel >
> 2.4.7
>
> is there an iso of an install disk including such a kernel with the
> 29160 driver ?

The 3.0 distribution's new-powermac flavor uses a 2.4.18 kernel.
Probably it doesn't include your special driver. The kernel is
available as a separate package, look in the package pool for
kernel-image-2.4.18-powerpc.

> if not I'll build a kernel on my pismo, an boot from disk as I
> will perform a network install.
>
> In this case I would like to know which is the magic incantation
> to boot from the internal IDE drive. More exactly the way to find the
> device name under OF.
>
> I've done this long time ago while installing my pismo, but I don't
> remember the "vaudou" OF incantation.

boot hd:xx,yaboot

(Check for specifics of the setup in the install manual).

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |