Re: Beige G3 kernel panic

On  16 Sep, this message from Patrik Nyman echoed through cyberspace:
> I have a Mac beige G3 desktop, 64MB RAM, 20GB IDE hard drive.
> There's one root partition of 4.2GB at /dev/hda8, and another equally large
> linux partition at /dev/hda9, and 500MB of swap at /dev/hda10. The rest is
> for Mac OS.
> The installation of the base system of Woody ran smoothly,
> except I skipped the last item, "Make system bootable",
> since I thought I'd use BootX rather than quik.
> I installed BootX according to the instructions in the installation manual:
> put a folder "Linux Kernels" in the MacOS system folder, with linux.bin and
> ramdisk.image.gz in it. I told BootX that the root is in /dev/hda8.
> But, on booting I get:
>
>      request_module[block-major.3]: Root fs not mounted.
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
request_module? Does that mean your kernel doesn't inlcude a driver for
IDE (major 3)? What kernel are you trying to boot?

Can you try and boot that same kernel from BootX with a ramdisk, and
once it's running, do a 'cat /proc/devices'?

>      VFS: cannot open root device 03:08.
>      Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:08.

Well, your kernel definitely tries to mount the right disk (03:08 is
/dev/hda8), but obviously fails....

> I have not applied the firmware patch mentioned in the manual. I'm under the
> inpression that you only need this if you're gona use quik. Correct?

Probably yes...

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |