Re: Beige G3 kernel panic

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 11:22:35AM +0200, Patrik Nyman wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I have a Mac beige G3 desktop, 64MB RAM, 20GB IDE hard drive.
> There's one root partition of 4.2GB at /dev/hda8, and another equally large
> linux partition at /dev/hda9, and 500MB of swap at /dev/hda10. The rest is
> for Mac OS.
> The installation of the base system of Woody ran smoothly,
> except I skipped the last item, "Make system bootable",
> since I thought I'd use BootX rather than quik.
> I installed BootX according to the instructions in the installation manual:
> put a folder "Linux Kernels" in the MacOS system folder, with linux.bin and
> ramdisk.image.gz in it. I told BootX that the root is in /dev/hda8.
> But, on booting I get:
>
>     request_module[block-major.3]: Root fs not mounted.
>     VFS: cannot open root device 03:08.
>     Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:08.
>
> I have not applied the firmware patch mentioned in the manual. I'm under the
> inpression that you only need this if you're gona use quik. Correct?
>
> I am a newbie to all of this, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

So, when you say you told BootX, I assume you didn't use the built-in
BootX voice interface :-) - you un-checked the root ramdisk checkbox
and added "root=/dev/hda8" to the boot arguments box, right?
Just wanted to check that we were on the same page.

Other than that, all I can suggest is re-booting the installation
system, executing a shell, and using e2fsck in the installer to check
the filesystem integrity on /dev/hda8. Although, it looks like it's
not finding the partition at all.

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |