Beige G3 kernel panic

Hi all.

I have a Mac beige G3 desktop, 64MB RAM, 20GB IDE hard drive.
There's one root partition of 4.2GB at /dev/hda8, and another equally large
linux partition at /dev/hda9, and 500MB of swap at /dev/hda10. The rest is
for Mac OS.
The installation of the base system of Woody ran smoothly,
except I skipped the last item, "Make system bootable",
since I thought I'd use BootX rather than quik.
I installed BootX according to the instructions in the installation manual:
put a folder "Linux Kernels" in the MacOS system folder, with linux.bin and
ramdisk.image.gz in it. I told BootX that the root is in /dev/hda8.
But, on booting I get:

    request_module[block-major.3]: Root fs not mounted.
    VFS: cannot open root device 03:08.
    Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:08.

I have not applied the firmware patch mentioned in the manual. I'm under the
inpression that you only need this if you're gona use quik. Correct?

I am a newbie to all of this, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Patrik Nyman