Re: Question

I just did a 3.0 install a couple of weeks ago, and here are my numbers.
On my root partition, I used about 75M.  For my /usr partition, I used ~
700 MB, and I have /home on a completely separate for my /usr partition.
I should also say that though I installed a lot of the developer's tools
(compilers, libs, etc.) I didn't install KDE or Gnome.  The only window
managers I have on my system are twm and blackbox. 3G is a little tight,
especially for both MacOS 9 _AND_ linux, and especially if you want to
play around in linux. Maybe you set up ~1 GB for MacOS, ~250 MB for your
root partition, ~1 GB for /usr and the rest for your swap and /home
partitions, that might get you started.   As I mentioned, I did not put
Gnome or KDE on my system, so I'm not sure how much space the packages
for those environments require.

Just my $0.02.  Partition allocation is really something that has to be
customized according to your wants/needs :)  If you want to do something
like building your own custom kernel - you are looking right off at ~30
MB for the source archive, and up to 120 MB when it is decompressed to
your disk.  It MIGHT be the simplest for you to get a 5 - 9 G separate
drive and dedicate that for linux ...

cheers
vinai