Re: Question

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 12:04:13AM +0200, Pedro Carneiro wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Sorry to waist your time with such silly beginners questions, but I have
> just been introduced to Debian and am thinking of installing it on an imac
> from 1998, with a 3 Giga HD. What do I exactly need to install ? I have an
> ADSL connection, which is fairly fast. I am looking into doing 2 partitions,
> one of them with OS 9. How big should the partitions be? Any help would be
> appreciated. Well, enough for now, many thanks for your patience, greetings
> from France!

A very minimum Linux will need 300MB. There is a list of disk consumption
for the tasks in tasksel, in the install manual's appendix. 300MB would
be pretty tight for a usable MacOS9, OTOH you could get away with 100MB
for a minimal 7.5.3 system.

I would disagree with vinai that 3G is not enough. It just depends on
what you want to do, if you're not a developer and don't collect mp3s
you might be just fine.

I'm using an iMac at the moment, on which the hard drive gave out, so
I got a 40G new one. Disk space is just so cheap these days.

I should mention that Debian is much faster and more stable and usable
on this machine than MacOS 9 ever was.

As to how to install, just take an hour or so and read the manual (the
link is in my .sig). For an all-in-one download, you can go to debian-imac
(the other link in my .sig) - but I still advise reading the manual.
There's a whole lotta good information in there.

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |