Re: reinstalling MacOS without wiping a Debian setup (partition, boot)

    chris> On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 12:15:38AM -0700, A.J. Rossini wrote:

    >> Is there any means of reinstalling MacOS without removing Debian?  (or
    >> reformating the whole disk?)   More importantly, is there any means of
    >> installing OS 9 without nuking my Debian setup?  I've currently got a
    >> dual-boot setup, OS X and Debian, on an iBook2.
    >>
    >> Attempting to reinstall either MacOS 9 or MacOS X seem to fail, the
    >> error given is that no disk/volume exists to do the install on.  Which
    >> makes no sense to me since I've got an HFS+ partition with OS X on
    >> it.  (well, I'm sure it does to the OS installer, sigh...).
    >>
    >> Suggestions?  (other than to reinstall the whole computer, but I guess
    >> that may be the only solution)?

    chris> Do you boot from the CD when attempting to install? The only reason I
    chris> can think of for it to fail is if the booted system is on the partition
    chris> you are installing to.

Yes, I have tried booting from both the OS X installer CD, and the OS
9 installer CD.  (not the software-reinstall set; Apple warns about
that, but...?).  However, it still doesn't find a partition that it
can use.  However, see below...

    chris> You could also try, once booted from the install CD, 'Erase Disc'
    chris> on the target partition, you can choose the type; and that should
    chris> give you a clean partition to install on.

Is it that I need a clean partition?  That might be why it can't find
anything.  I figured that, similarly to most installers I've recently
used, it would offer to wipe and start fresh.  I'll backup and try
this.

(as well as MOL, since that might give me what I need).

thanks!

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini				Rsrch. Asst. Prof. of Biostatistics
U. of Washington Biostatistics		rossini@u.washington.edu