Re: reinstalling MacOS without wiping a Debian setup (partition, boot)

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 12:15:38AM -0700, A.J. Rossini wrote:

> Is there any means of reinstalling MacOS without removing Debian?  (or
> reformating the whole disk?)   More importantly, is there any means of
> installing OS 9 without nuking my Debian setup?  I've currently got a
> dual-boot setup, OS X and Debian, on an iBook2.
>
> Attempting to reinstall either MacOS 9 or MacOS X seem to fail, the
> error given is that no disk/volume exists to do the install on.  Which
> makes no sense to me since I've got an HFS+ partition with OS X on
> it.  (well, I'm sure it does to the OS installer, sigh...).
>
> Suggestions?  (other than to reinstall the whole computer, but I guess
> that may be the only solution)?

Do you boot from the CD when attempting to install? The only reason I
can think of for it to fail is if the booted system is on the partition
you are installing to.

After installing OS X, you'll have to use yaboot manually to boot into
your system and re-run ybin, because the OS X install wipes the
firmware settings out.

You could also try, once booted from the install CD, 'Erase Disc'
on the target partition, you can choose the type; and that should
give you a clean partition to install on.

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |