Recovering Open Firmware [was: On using the imstt driver on a 9600 (was: Re: X on a 9600 artifacts...)]

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 02:32:40PM -0700, Brad Boyer wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 11:05:11PM +0200, Vinai Kopp wrote:
> > The next thing is rescuing the box.
> > According to http://penguinppc.org/projects/quik/quirks.shtml
> > the "output-device defaults to ttya" on 9600 macs. Hm, how can I make
> > that output visible? Any other pointers or ideas what to do?
>
> You have two choices here. You can use a serial terminal to access
> to OF interface, or you can change the settings from the MacOS. I
> generally use an old Mac SE/30 running ZTerm as a serial terminal
> when I need such things. Any old Mac or PC with the proper serial
> cable will work. For a Mac, a standard Mac serial printer cable
> works fine. For a PC, you'll need a null modem cable with a PC
> style plug at one end and a Mac style plug at the other. The other
> alternative is to use the MacOS on your 9600 to change the OF
> settings. The Boot Variables program can change the NVRAM on
> all the older models. You can find a copy online.

Thank you for the infos. I'll use the serial cable variant, because I
guess to use NVRAM I would first be able to boot into MacOS, witch I
completly removed during the woody install.

I just got the adapter so now I have a cable to connect my PC style
serial port to the mac. I'll check it out tonight.

cu
--
Vinai
Registered Linux User #280755, Debian GNU/Linux  http://counter.li.org/