Re: new G4, radeon9000 support

On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 11:49, Eric Deveaud wrote:

> my boss told me that christmas is comming now, I can order a new bi G4.
> with a 17' ADC flat panel

You've got a nice boss. :)

> I think I will order the following:
> biG4  1.25GHz
> 1Gb   SDRAM
> 2 UltraSCSI 72 Gb
> ATI Radeon 9000
> SCSI card
>

> I want to now about the Xfree support of the radeon9000 (I don't want
> a nvidia card)
> As far as I understood the Xfree documentation, the radeon familly is
> supported. am I correct, or should I order an other card

Well, the 9000 series is the third generation of Radeon cores, and AFAIK
it might be different enough to the earlier generations for it not to
work out of the box. However, ATI has already submitted a patch to
XFree86 to add support, it should be in 4.3.0 and could probably be
backported if necessary.