Re: backup methods

I've been trying this on a running system, perhaps that's why tar doesn't work. I guess I could try the restore after booting from a floppy disk instead when using an old world macintosh.

However, I'd like to avoid a boot-disk dependent method because the G4 I will eventually use does not have a floppy drive. Would there be a way to boot from the install CD and then mount & restore the HD? I

-Lars

I don't see why tar wouldn't work, but note that untarring to root on a running system isn't necessarily a good idea. So how are you doing it? tarring from a disk to a file, then untarring to a disk in another machine and moving the disk back to the original machine, or doing it from a bootfloppy or similar?

I've done both a few times. having a rescue floppy ready for these occasions is quite good.