Re: DRI Problems
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cc: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: DRI Problems
- From: Michel Dänzer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: 12 Aug 2002 22:10:12 +0200
- Message-id: <1029183014.1172.409.camel@tibook>
- In-reply-to: <20020812170922.GA14587@debian>
- References: <20020808225502.GC16870@debian> <1028887742.1271.360.camel@tibook> <20020812170922.GA14587@debian>
On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 19:09, email@example.com wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 12:09:01PM +0200, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> > > 3. XDM is broken - It seems to be some kind of xauth problem; strangely
> > > enough though, everything works fine if I use startx. I remember
> > > Branden claiming XDM was broken at one point, but I thought that had
> > > been fixed.
> > Not related, the DRI repository is missing code for XdmAuth. gdm works.
> Umm, why? I'm not buying gdm with it's 40+ (!) package dependencies.
> Seems to me that XAuth support is fairly important, esp. since 99% of all X
> login widgets depend on it.
Interesting, didn't know there are 99 display managers besides gdm, all of
them requiring it. :)
> Any particular reason it was omitted?
The DRI tree is cut down to the absolute minimum required for building
the server and GL library and drivers. Plus, a source file (Wraphelp.c)
needed for XdmAuth has dubious licensing and/or export conditions.
I'll happily take a patch to add support for it, but I don't bother
about it enough to work on it myself.
Earthling Michel Dänzer (MrCooper)/ Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc) developer
XFree86 and DRI project member / CS student, Free Software enthusiast