Re: Troubleshooting X server

On 28 Jul 2002 14:26:01 +0200
Michel D <daenzer@debian.org> wrote:

> > > That doesn't tell a lot. As Chris said, the server log should
> > > contain more information, but you might have to start X directly
> > > instead of via a display manager for it to be available.
> >
> > There was nothing in the XFree log, but I'll try booting without X.

Tried starting X manually -- the only messages I got when it crashed
were:

  Fatal server error:
  Caught signal 11. Server aborting

Not terribly helpful either. :-(

> > > Which driver are you using?
> >
> > glint.
>
> Oh, I was wondering if that would even work. :)

Ah, apparently not entirely. :-)

> If Option "NoAccel"
> helps, you can play with the "XaaNo..." options to isolate the
> offending acceleration function; the server lists the functions it
> uses in the log. 4.2.0 might also be worthwhile to try, and the last
> resort would be the fbdev driver.

No difference with 4.2.0. (Now how do I get back to 4.1? Do I have to
downgrade all the packages manually?)

I briefly tried the "NoAccel" option with 4.1 before upgrading and it
didn't crash, although that may have been a fluke. But it's my best
result yet, so I'll try it again for a while. I would just stay with
4.2/NoAccel, but it seems to be significantly slower than even
4.1/NoAccel was. But if I can be of help in debugging the new release,
I'm willing to stick with 4.2.

-- Michael