Re: Troubleshooting X server

On Sun, 2002-07-28 at 04:03, Michael Hackett wrote:
> On 27 Jul 2002 23:25:35 +0200
> Michel D <daenzer@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 18:54, Michael Hackett wrote:
> > > Jul 26 13:28:01 crimson gnome-name-server[310]: input condition is:
> > >     0x10, exiting
> > > Jul 26 13:28:03 crimson gdm[248]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler:
> > >     Fatal X error - Restarting :0
> >
> > That doesn't tell a lot. As Chris said, the server log should contain
> > more information, but you might have to start X directly instead of
> > via a display manager for it to be available.
>
> There was nothing in the XFree log, but I'll try booting without X.
> (Fortunately, I've already changed the runlevels to match what I was
> used to from YDL/RH. Debian treats levels 2-5 all the same, which I
> found odd, but I guess there's no standardization on that.)

We leave the management of runlevels to the administrator. You could
also boot into single user mode or boot into X, switch to console and
stop the display manager. (Or start a second server right away, ...)

> Any idea what that "input condition is: 0x10" message means, though?
> It's the only consistent feature, and I wonder if it might at least be a
> clue as to what's going on.

Doubt it, it's probably just a consequence of the X server dying.

> > > I'm running woody versions of everything: XFree 4.1, GNOME 1.4,
> > > Sawfish, etc. The main software I've been trying to run is Sylpheed
> > > and Mozilla, as well as terminal windows. The system is a PowerMac
> > > 9500/120, with a Formac Proformance 3 (permedia-based) video card.
> >
> > Which driver are you using?
>
> glint.

Oh, I was wondering if that would even work. :) If Option "NoAccel"
helps, you can play with the "XaaNo..." options to isolate the offending
acceleration function; the server lists the functions it uses in the
log. 4.2.0 might also be worthwhile to try, and the last resort would be
the fbdev driver.