Re: Troubleshooting X server

On 27 Jul 2002 23:25:35 +0200
Michel D <daenzer@debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 18:54, Michael Hackett wrote:
> > Jul 26 13:28:01 crimson gnome-name-server[310]: input condition is:
> >     0x10, exiting
> > Jul 26 13:28:03 crimson gdm[248]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler:
> >     Fatal X error - Restarting :0
>
> That doesn't tell a lot. As Chris said, the server log should contain
> more information, but you might have to start X directly instead of
> via a display manager for it to be available.

There was nothing in the XFree log, but I'll try booting without X.
(Fortunately, I've already changed the runlevels to match what I was
used to from YDL/RH. Debian treats levels 2-5 all the same, which I
found odd, but I guess there's no standardization on that.)

Any idea what that "input condition is: 0x10" message means, though?
It's the only consistent feature, and I wonder if it might at least be a
clue as to what's going on.

> > I'm running woody versions of everything: XFree 4.1, GNOME 1.4,
> > Sawfish, etc. The main software I've been trying to run is Sylpheed
> > and Mozilla, as well as terminal windows. The system is a PowerMac
> > 9500/120, with a Formac Proformance 3 (permedia-based) video card.
>
> Which driver are you using?

glint.

Thanks for your help!
-- Michael