RE: Modems on PowerBook 3400

On 16 July 2002 01:08 Chris Tillman <tillman@voicetrak.com> wrote

} Did you install (or choose) the yenta-socket module? I think that's the
} one you need. If you chose the default (which is the common choice for
} i386), it won't work.
}
} (debian-powerpc-200204/msg00449.html rang my bell).

<seriously_bad_jokes>
So, along with having a small Woody (installation) because I
can't get my connections up, I can now add a joke about your
ding-a-ling
</seriously_bad_joke>

Yes, I installed Yenta.  I also installed i8-something-not-common
(there are two i8-something options.  The standard one wouldn't
install, the other one did).

Okay, here's what I did after installation.

1) Changed the memory and port options in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts,
   according to LDP's How-To.

2) Ran dmesg.  That gave me:
   cs: memory probe 0x80000000-0x80ffffff: excluding 0x80000000-0x809fffff
   ttyS00 at port 0x03f8 (irq = 22) is a 16450

   Although ttyS00 is not a common device, from what I've read, I
figured by the interrupts that it was my PCMCIA modem (although it
could have been my internal, too, come to think of it).

3) Configured pppconfig, manually installing /dev/ttyS00

4) Got an error saying /dev/ttyS00 is an invalid option

5) Re-link /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS00 (a la messege
   <http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2000/debian-powerpc-200011/msg00210.html>)

6) Ran pon.  Didn't get any errors (yipee!), but didn't get any
response out of the modem (rats!)

Tonight (this morning for those of you Stateside), I will try plugging
my phone cord into the internal modem and see if I get any results
(Hot Shots Part Deux was on last night as I figuring this out.  The
humour won out over the computer).

I'll also try fiddling with my /etc/pcmcia/config.opts.  The How-To has

     include memory 0x80000000-0x80ffffff

while message
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2000/debian-powerpc-200011/msg00085.html>
and one other PPCLinux source (can't remember) suggests

    include memory 0x90000000-0x90ffffff

as well as

   #include port 0x800-0x8ff  #modem

I'll give those a whirl.

I also forgot to mention that I'm using the 2.4 kernel... I don't
think the Yenta option is available on the 2.2 kernel... it certainly
wasn't on 2.2r3.

If this doesn't work, you can rest assured I'll be back here
whimpering tomorrow.

Thanks for the help, though.

Cheers,
Aaron