Powermac 9500 won't recognize rescue floppy

Hey guys. I've downloaded all of the floppy images for booting my 9500
into the installer, but whenever I boot with the rescue disk in the
floppy drive, it simply gets spit out. If I insert the disk into the
system while running MacOS 9.1, it gives me a "Filesystem not
recongnized, would you like to format" dialog box.
Does anyone have any ideas? I've got about 5 usenet posts running, no
one seems to have heard of this before.
Greatly appreciate any help !
-Cheers