Network Install won't connect

Hey guys. I've got my 9500 connected to the internet now, but none of the
packages can connect. I've booted into Mac OS 9.1, and the connection is valid,
was was able to open web pages with Netscape Explorer.
But whenever I run base-config, i get timed out. this has happened with both
http and ftp, the whe the two or three servers i've tried for each. I've opened
another shell, and ping just hangs. I dont get any messages of any kind, i just
dont get any output.
ifconfig does show that the card (built in ethernet) is being recognized and
used correctly. Another odd thing is that DHCP was set up in under a second, so
Debian does seem to be able to use the card.
Any ideas?
Thanks
-Cheers