Re: install on a old world ppc without floppy

On  29 Jun, this message from Vinai Kopp echoed through cyberspace:
> I've got a Apple 9600 on which I would love to have Woody (only).
> The trouble is I removed the floppy years ago to make room for another
> harddisk.
> As far as I understood from the install manual I need to use floppies
> for oldworld macs.
> I don't have a floppy drive available I could put in.
> Any idea how to go on with this?

Yes.

> Maybe create a ramdisk in MacOS and reboot from there?
> That used to work to fix harddisk errors on my system volume.
> But I wonder if it could work to load linux...

Should still work. Somewhere in the ftp archives you should find a
kernel and a ramdisk for woody, and maybe as well BootX, which you all
need to transfer to a MacOS install (needed only for installation). Boot
the kernel with the ramdisk, and install from there in any of the usual
ways.

After that, pray to the OF gods to make your quik install working, and
boot directly into Linux from OF.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |