Re: old world power pc with just debian?

On  29 Jun, this message from vinai echoed through cyberspace:
> Not quite sure about that ...  I think the old "Linuxppc" distribution
> came with a CD which was bootable on my 8500 (I think the was the 1999
> release ...)  I could try to find my copy of that CD if anyone thinks
> the info might be useful ??

That booted through BootX, which is in fact MacOS booting.

My understanding is that OF could indeed have problems booting from CD
(after all, the first OF releases were just good enough to boot the
Apple ROM...).

The only way to boot from CD is to start booting the ROM, and holding
'c' to boot from CDROM. But that is MacOS ROM booting the CD, not OF. So
you need MacOS drivers on the CD, a mminimal install of MacOS (or
miBoot), and Bootx.

In case you're wondering, no, Debian wil never provide old-world
bootable CDs since the MacOS driver stuff is non-free. Go search the
archives for a few 'flamy' arguments :-)

> On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Chris Tillman wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 12:04:47PM -0500, mdfranz@io.com wrote:
>>

>> > My next step is to try to build a yaboot CD (I believe Old Worlds
>> > support
>> > this).
>>
>> No Oldworlds definitely will not run yaboot. And I haven't had any luck
>> booting quik from a CD, I think there is no CD driver for oldworld.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |