Re: How real is the risk of overheating your T?iBook anyway?

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 04:27:17PM -0700, Gordon Paynter wrote:
> This thread (running powerbook with the lid down) brings up something
> I've been worrying about a little lately: is there a real risk of
> overheating a(n | T)iBook?
>
> I have a 600Mhz iBook, and frequently leave it running for hours at a
> time with load average >= 1.  The area to the left of the trackpad,
> and the left side of the bottom of the case can get pretty warm--I'd
> almost say hot--after a while, especially if you're not using an
> absolutely flat, hard surface (e.g. watching DVDs in bed).
>
> Lately I've been thinking about putting blocks under the corners to
> raise the machine (say) 1cm from the table to give it better
> ventilation, but I really don't know how seriously I should be taking
> the whole issue.
>
> Has anyone ever heard of one of these things overheating?

I think you're right to be concerned. I was involved, back in my
hardware engineering days, in an electronic components age-life
study. The biggest enemy of electronics is heat; the way they
simulate years of use in the lab, in compressed time, is to raise
the temperature and run the boxes.

It's a cumulative effect; so it's not so much a matter of blowing
the radiator as it is of wearing out the plumbing; and the cooler
it's kept the better off it is.