How real is the risk of overheating your T?iBook anyway?

This thread (running powerbook with the lid down) brings up something
I've been worrying about a little lately: is there a real risk of
overheating a(n | T)iBook?

I have a 600Mhz iBook, and frequently leave it running for hours at a
time with load average >= 1.  The area to the left of the trackpad,
and the left side of the bottom of the case can get pretty warm--I'd
almost say hot--after a while, especially if you're not using an
absolutely flat, hard surface (e.g. watching DVDs in bed).

Lately I've been thinking about putting blocks under the corners to
raise the machine (say) 1cm from the table to give it better
ventilation, but I really don't know how seriously I should be taking
the whole issue.

Has anyone ever heard of one of these things overheating?

Gordon