Alternatives to DPMS OffTime/BlankTime support on PowerBooks

Hi all.

Currently, I have had to enable keybindings that run:
/sbin/fblevel on|off

I had to make /dev/fb0 readable by group video (And add myself to that
group) for this to work which I am not sure is a good thing.

I would like to emulate the [xset s ...] functionality, or the
equivalent options in XF86Config-4:

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option  "BlankTime"  "2"
        Option  "OffTime"  "5"
EndSection

so that my screenblanking will work based on an idle timeout in X
(Either at the gdm login screen, or in a user session).

Any tips would be welcome :)

--
David Stanaway