Re: Netscape with Woody install problems

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 01:14:54PM -0600, Paul F. Pearson wrote:
> I had this problem with Potato as well (we had some discussion about it,
> but it diverted to a Mozilla thread).
>
> When I try to install Netscape with dselect, it says that Netscape relies
> on a statically linked Motif library which "is not available." Is
> something wrong with how I have may apt-sources setup?
>
> As a workaround, I was going to install Opera (http://www.opera.com/)
> which I used with Potato. I downloaded the RPM, used alien to convert it
> to .deb, and then ran 'dpkg install'. All seemed well until I ran it. It
> claimed that it couldn't load a libstdc++-6.xxx.o (I don't remember the
> values for x) file. I didn't see that file listed as an option using
> dselect.
>
> So, my main question concerns Netscape - why can't I install it?

I don't know. But how about Mozilla (which is free Netscape anyway)?
I've also gotten Konqueror to run without KDE, it's nice and simple.
And a third alternative is galeon, though I understand it's not quite
as stable.

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |