Re: issues with external CRT/dual USB ibook

>[...]
>> When I boot the iBook without the screen attached, do a 'm3mirror
>> lcd:0 crt:1' and then connect the monitor, the screen shows the
>> correct modes (I tried up to 1280x1024) with the correct frequencies
>> but with a vertical wobble, like there were interferences.
>
>Ooops, just tried m3mirror, and I can confirm the "vertical wobble". Looks
>like a sine wave modulated over the hsync. Really funny, but makes CRT
>unusable ;-)
>It's not a hardware issue, as I get a perfect CRT picture while booting
>(before the penguin is drawn) or in MacOS.
>Kernel is 2.4.17-ben0 (rsync'd at 2002-01-04)
>
>> Should I send that to benh? Is there a bug database for PPC kernels
>> I can submit that to? I'd like to make sure that the ones who can
>> fix that get informed about that bug.
>
>I guess BenH is subscribed here, but if there's a more kernel-related ppc
>list, I'd prefer to use that...

The m3mirror is a hack using the same kind of sync on the LCD and
on the CRT output. Having a different sync, which is what you want,
would require full dual head support. I don't think it will appear
anytime soon in aty128fb, but I think Ani Joshi have some code for
that in XFree. It's not in the XFree CVS though, but the basic idea
is to backport what is in XFree radeon driver.

Ben.