Re: Mapping cmd to alt in X with linux keycodes

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 06:49:26PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> >
> > As far as hacking keymaps goes, yes.  If the xkb data is wrong for a
> > model of keyboard, I think it should be fixed and I'd like to receive
> > patches to this effect.
>
> the trouble is nobody can agree whether `command == meta' is `wrong'
> or not.
>
> given the option key is the one with `alt' engraved on it one would
> presume it should be treated as alt, regardless of the fact that apple
> put it in the wrong place.
>
> one could probably say the same for Sun keyboards and thier
> caps-lock/control key placement.

Believe it or not, Sun's capslock/ctrl key placement is the
"correct" one.  Well, it is the classic one anyway, and long
predates any PC keyboard.  The mod to swap the capslock and ctrl key
on PC keyboards to make them the same as sun keyboards is very
commonly used.  My NeXT keyboard is also "correct."  I'm so used to
it that that keyboard is the only one that I can touch type w/o ever
looking at the keyboard.  On the PC keyboards, I have to look down
at the capslock and ctrl keys.  Now, what possessed Sun to move the
backspace key one down from the top a few years ago, I will never
understand.