Re: Install: force Lombard to use yaboot, not quik

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 11:20:44AM +0100, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> Summary of my stuff below: where is woody base?

http://$MIRROR/debian/pool/main/*/*

there is no base tarball for woody, its obsolete.  the real .debs are
fetched via http or ftp (in boot-floppies 3.0.14 or later).

> Thanks for the advice. It seems to be clear that I should be using
> woody.

yes

> OK. A dumb question then. How do I get to use woody? My Lombard hasn't
> got a floppy drive.

boot-floppies don't need a floppy drive, its the debian installation
system its used on CDs, floppies and everything else.

> My installation procedure attempt so far has been to
> 1)  use the debian-imac.sit package from an HFS partition to
>     boot the installer
> 2)  use woody kernel files etc from an nfs share on my server

that won't do you any good, you are just installing potato with a
kernel that won't work with potato.

> 3)  use the base file (potato) from an nfs share on my server.

see above.

> I guess that 1) is ok? But 2), which uses the woody images still points
> to a potato base file for 3). I tried editing the default path on the
> installer http download from 'potato' to 'woody', but got a file not
> found error. So then I decided to download the only base file I could
> find for my local install.

throw away all of that.

get woody boot-floppies:
ftp.kernel.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/current/powermac

get files: linux yaboot drivers.tgz images-1.44/rescue.bin images-1.44/root.bin

drop them all at the root of your macos partition create a yaboot.conf
and boot yaboot.

> Where is woody base?

there is no woody base tarball.  base tarballs are obsolete.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/