Re: Mapping cmd to alt in X with linux keycodes

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 04:05:23PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> the trouble is nobody can agree whether `command == meta' is `wrong'
> or not.
>
> given the option key is the one with `alt' engraved on it one would
> presume it should be treated as alt, regardless of the fact that apple
> put it in the wrong place.
>
> one could probably say the same for Sun keyboards and thier
> caps-lock/control key placement.

These are easily taken care of with little option files that you can
manipulate with XKbOption.  Like "ctrl:nocaps" on the PC keyboard.

It's not an insuperable problem at all.

(Though how anyone can expect the "alt" key to default to some key that
DOESN'T have the word "alt" on it, when there's a key right next to it
that DOES have the word "alt" on it, is quite beyond me.)

Consider the poor newbies.  ("When we say ALT, we don't mean the key
that says ALT.  We mean the key next to it.")

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      If encryption is outlawed, only