debian-powerpc: g4 powerbook and writeable CD/DVD

I'm going to buy a G4 PowerBook :) :) :) :) :)
I currently run Debian Linux/PPC Testing with kernel 2.4.2 on my G3 PowerBook :) :) :)

I want to buy a writeable CD or DVD drive so I can backup and also boot the machine from for installation and recovery purposes. Does anyone have a recommendatation of which devices would be suitable and supported by Debian Linux ??? If possible I would also like to be able to use the device on a Intel machine (eg. usb, eth or firewire connection).

Thanks,
Brendan Simon.