Re: new preliminary packages for mol in incoming (0.9.58-1)

Hi,

Branden Robinson writes:

> <plonk>
>
> Sorry, I tend to ignore wankers who want everything sugar-coated.

Aah, the joys of electronic communication.

Anyway, I think the original problem should be taken to debian-mentors
because it doesn't really relate to the PowerPC architecture.  The
situation is that a package can semi-automatically create a
configuration file via debconf.  However, the user must be able to
change it, and these changes must be preserved on future upgrades.  I
haven't found a solution for this, so here is what I came up with:

The config script informs the user that a number of configuration
files need to be present, that they won't be touched by Debian if they
have been edited by the user, and that to make sure they will be
created by Debian they should be deleted now.

The config script determines whether to do any semi-automatic
configuration at all.  If not, it exits.

The config script assumes it can clobber the file if a configuration
file *either* does not exist *or* its MD5 fingerprint is identical to
an MD5 fingerprint stored by a previous invocation of the postinst
script.  If it may clobber the file, it asks a number of questions and
stores the answers in debconf.  Otherwise, it informs the user that
the file will be left alone.

The postinst script again checks whether it is allowed to clobber the
file and if this is the case, creates the file based on the debconf
answers.

I would appreciate if people could point out any flaws in this scheme.
Better yet, I would appreciate a pointer to a package that has already
solved this problem successfully.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!
Le veux aimeb et mqubib panz je pézqbpbe le djuz tqtaj!