Re: new preliminary packages for mol in incoming (0.9.58-1)

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 12:35:47PM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just uploaded new versions of my preliminary Mac-on-Linux
> packages to incoming.  As usual, they can also be found in
>
>  deb http://samiel.theorie.physik.uni-muenchen.de/debian sid main
>  deb-src http://samiel.theorie.physik.uni-muenchen.de/debian sid main
>
> The most important change is probably the new upstream release 0.9.58,
> which is supposed to eliminate a serious stability problem.  On the
> Debian side, I have moved a few files around, namely the ROM image,
> the video mode database and the modules, and created kernel-package
> hooks for the mol-modules-source file.

you need to move the nvram file to /var/lib:

cleaning up...
nvram, write_image: open: Read-only file system

i keep /usr mounted read-only, the FHS allows this, and debian policy
mandates FHS compliance.

> The automatic configuration thingy is still in its infancy, right now
> debconf runs the necessary programs and writes the molrc for my
> personal machine to /etc/molrc.

its also committing a cardinal sin, if you answer `yes' to
autoconfiguration the mol package will happily blow away a admin
modified /etc/molrc on mol upgrades.  you need to save the md5sum of
the debconf generated config and ask the user what to do if it does
not match on future upgrades, try to replicate the standard dpkg
conffile behavior.

> I would very much appreciate if as many people as possible could test
> these packages and send me their comments.  It's a pleasure to thank
> everybody who sent feedback on 0.9.57-1; your comments were extremely
> useful and many of your ideas went (or are still going) into the
> package.

i also looked at the startmol script again.  it has some inexcusable
/tmp races.  i will probably write a patch to fix it later, but you can
see where they are by reading the script.  you should patch this
script to remove these security holes.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/