Re: new preliminary packages for mol in incoming (0.9.58-1)

Hi,

Ethan Benson writes:

> otherwise when the package is later upgraded the config file is
> again blown away.

It's a feature.  If you say `yes' to automatic configuration, you are
handing the whole thing to debconf once and for all.  Well, at least
until you dpkg-reconfigure the package and say `no'.

> this violates policy.

As far as I can see, policy allows automatic building of a
configuration file [1].  I have to admit that right now this automatic
build process leaves a lot to be desired.  Expect something [2] next
week.

> the ones avialable now kept destroying my config file as i upgraded
> the packages a few times getting my potato hacks working right...

Sorry 'bout that, but please keep in mind that it is not normal to
upgrade a package three times a day after meals.  Those packages are
work in progress, and once they are finished, they will be upgraded
with every upstream version on unstable/testing systems and with every
Debian release on stable systems.

> also i think its not necessary to run that horrible molvconfig
> program at every upgrade, once the vmodes file is built that should
> be considered good enough.

Then you should uncheck the debconf option and build the video modes
database by hand before running mol for the first time.

But probably the postinst script should ask before actually starting
molvconfig.  After all, we don't want a program running as root that
simply pops up on the console during a remote or, worse, unattended
upgrade.

> also is that error file whose location is set in the wrapper script
> created securely by mol?

The ERR_FILE is handled in a very secure way.  Namely, it is not used
by mol at all.  Some versions of the Korn Shell automatically redirect
their standard error to the file specified in the ERR_FILE environment
variable.

> a couple other things, when --purged the package did not remove
> /etc/molrc and did not remove the /var/lib/mol directory (it was
> left empty)

Thanks.

Regards, Jens.

[1] Debian policy Manual 3.5.4.0, Chapter 8, paragraph `The hard method ...'
[2] What's the English word for `Verschlimmbesserung'?

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!
Le veux aimeb et mqubib panz je pézqbpbe le djuz tqtaj!